Coming to Africa for a wildlife safari is very exciting however one needs to pack some stuff that he/she will or might need in the course of the safari.
There is no need to pack a lot because too much luggage may instead become a burden. Below are highlights of what one may need while on an African safari.
- Travel documents: These include a passport valid for up to 6 months and necessary Visas. These should at least be kept in hand luggage. You can also make some copies of the passport.
- Emergency phone numbers
- Travel insurance
- Medical documents are also necessary plus any medical history if any.
- Some pocket change (money) that should be at least kept in a money belt around the waist.
- Some travel directories like maps and telephone contacts for the tour operator one is traveling with. Maps are very important for those traveling without a tour operator.
- An updated trip itinerary from the tour operator you are traveling with. This should be accompanied with the detailed contact information of the tour operator.
Essentials for the safari
- Good and strong safari shoes that should at least be water proof as well as some sandals to wear in the evening.
- A safari hut and sunglasses
- Enough clothes that should at least be dull colored as white colored clothes could easily catch dust especially in the dry season.
- Long trousers and shirts are very important for gorilla and chimpanzee tracking. Short trousers can be put on in the evening after tracking.
- You might also need a swimming costume especially in the dry season.
- Sweaters and jackets are also essential to wear at night and during the wet season.
- The major lodges offer laundry services at a reasonable cost. You can however ask your driver guide to help you.
- Mosquito repellant
- Flash light
- Hand sanitizers and wipes
- Lip balm and personal Vaseline
- Some antibiotics
- Allergy remedies in case you are allergic
- Some vitamins
- Electric adaptor
- Travel alarm clock
- A notebook to note down some memories
- Hair shampoo
- Sanitary necessities
- Some painkillers
- A day hand pack
- Waterproof pack